A Feel-Good Story About A Cat – And Yes, It’s Relevant For Marketers
Posted on 25 November 2014
I was watching one of those TV shows about a boss going undercover in her own business. She was talking to one of her employees, a young woman who was almost completely deaf in one ear.
The boss asked: “What would be different for you if you had a hearing aid?”, and the employee smiled and replied: “I’d be able to hear my cat meowing.”
Isn’t that interesting? She didn’t just say “I’d be able to hear”; she immediately thought of something very specific that had a powerful emotional meaning for her: hearing her cat meowing. (Happy ending: the boss paid for her employee’s new hearing aid.)
What does that story have to do with marketing?
When you talk or write about the benefits of your product or service, give specific, concrete, emotion-evoking examples. What do people get to be, do, have and feel as a result of using your product or service? And what would that mean for them? What would it look like in real life?
Avoid those vague, abstract platitudes that I see all the time: “You’ll feel better”, “You’ll take your business to the next level”, “You’ll be more confident”, “You’ll earn a six-figure income”… That’s all very nice, but so what?
How do you find those powerful “I’d be able to hear my cat meowing” examples that touch people’s emotions? Talk to your customers and potential customers, and delve deep to discover what they really want! Then, help them to see, hear, smell, taste and feel what their life will be like when their dreams come true.
I guess I should walk my own talk…
I don’t know enough about the specifics of your business and your dreams, but based on my experience with my clients, here are just some of the goodies you could get to be, do, have and feel when you hire me to work with you on your marketing (whether you’re a business owner or a corporate marketing executive):
- Identify and attract your ideal customers, who become loyal, raving fans of your company
- Stand out in a crowded marketplace, because people understand what you do, why you do it, and why they should choose you
- Write and speak confidently and persuasively about your business, whether you’re writing marketing material, attending networking events or conferences, being interviewed by media people or pitching to potential investors, so you attract more of the right kind of clients, staff, allies, media coverage, funding…
- Charge more for your products and services, because people perceive that they’re worth more
- Sell more of whatever it is that you sell, and make more money, so that you and your business can make a bigger difference in the world, and you get to live the lifestyle that makes your heart sing
- Let go of the fear, confusion, frustration and overwhelm you’re feeling about juggling all the marketing tasks for your business, on top of everything else you have to do
- Feel relieved and satisfied, knowing that your marketing is getting results and your business is thriving. And then your dad will be proud of you!
If you’d like some of that, let’s talk, OK?
And I’m curious – what do your customers get to be, do, have and feel? Whether or not you want to hire me right now, I’d love to hear about you and your business, so please leave a comment.
Image courtesy of stay2gether at FreeDigitalPhotos.net